If you were lucky enough to read the April 2003 edition of “The Undergraduate Hispanic Experience”, you’d have known a great deal of stuff about scholarships for Hispanics. Well, lucky for you because this article is going to explain a lot about scholarships for Hispanics from different aspects – so much so, that you’ll have a fair idea about where and when to apply for these grants.
In addition to knowing about deadlines, institutes and grants, you’ll also come to know about things that matter on your portfolio. It is a known fact that just like any other non-American group, Hispanics are also recognized as a minority. In this context, scholarships for Hispanics are one of the main categories where you should start from, if in case you’re looking to cut down on your financial expenses and stuff like that.
Scholarships For Hispanics – The Undergraduate (and Post Graduate) Experience:
The actual article dates back to the 1988 archives of “The Magazine of Higher Learning”. The author did a lot more than scribbling down thousands of words about scholarships for Hispanics. In fact, from the looks of it, the information was well researched and organized before it was published. It is quite obvious that the said article was written to properly guide minorities towards the application process of such scholarships.
Back in the 80s, a limited number of Latino students were enrolled in various Californian institutes. Some of them were enrolled at academic centers at Texas, Illinois and Washington DC. During that time period, Hispanics didn’t have the voice to speak for themselves. They wanted to send a word out about their college/ school related experiences, they wanted to enjoy the same level of facilities and financial discounts and etc.
Also in the 80s, there was no affirmative action in favor of scholarships for Hispanics. Minority students were expected to pay in full and move along just like the others. Most of the people who were looking for scholarships for immigrants, they had to make do with hard work only because such scholarships were almost nonexistent.
Fast forward to the current time period, especially the Obama Administration where education was given a tad bit of support as compared to the previous governments. We see that ethnic groups, especially Latinos are no longer that much of a minority these days. Let alone, if you want to look at the 2000 Census in the context of scholarships for Hispanics, you’ll find out that there has been an overall increase in the enrollment criterion of minority students.
About 200% more students have been given scholarships for Hispanics, scholarships for immigrants and so on and so forth. Seeing to the increase in these grants, Latin American, African American, Asian American and such kinds of groups from the ages of 18 – 35, felt encouraged to try their “luck” against these scholarships.
Why Focus So Strongly On Scholarships For Hispanics?
The answer lies in Higher education. Immigrants are not dumb; they’re hard working people and more than that, they’re smart. As a matter of fact, an average immigrant is capable of making a lot more money as compared to a pure American born and bred group. How so? It’s because of the fact that Hispanics and such other races understand the importance of time, competition and scholarships for Hispanics.
What if your great great Grandfather migrated to America, with nothing more than a couple of family members and a vision of living the American dream? Time and situation has changed since then. Even though the economic condition of USA is going through a bumpy phase, it is no reason for minorities to skip their studies.
Currently, a lot of supporting literature is available on the topic of scholarships for Hispanics. These scholarships for minorities are so common and so widely available that sometimes it seems that the word “minority” is of titular nature. Because of the fact that our government is more lenient towards supporting deserving cases from immigrant groups, not only scholarships for Hispanics, but various other grants have become highly accessible.
The Action Strategy For Applying For Scholarships For Hispanics:
Have you thought of an action strategy for applying for all kinds of scholarships for Hispanics? Even though every other school and college is touting out these scholarships, getting signed up for any of them is a herculean task. Top it all off with scammy scholarship grants, and you’re literally walking a thin line, where a lot of students don’t have any idea about application process and etc.
Whatever your action strategy related to scholarships for Hispanics may be, do bear in mind that Latino or non documented students are supposed to include efforts to pursue higher education. We know that the economy and job market are treating people harshly, but this phase will be over soon. Afterwards, the system will fall back to the normal state where academic qualification will be sought out by people in power.
At the moment, there is a general norm that the media likes to go by. Disturbingly, we have seen a lot of cases where media likes to focus on the crime rate in the minority sector. In fact, the media likes to claim that crime originates mostly from within such communities, which sort of gives way to a lot of misconception.
Such misconceptions fairly force people to overlook those individuals from the same communities who’re high achiever; people who’ve made something of themselves by seeking scholarships for Hispanics, or other educational grants.
But that’s not originally part of our discussion in this article. Our focus is on scholarships for Hispanics and ways to apply for them, hence you should take a look at the appended guidelines to get started on your academic ventures:
- ABA Diversity Scholarship:
- The ABA Diversity Scholarship scheme is more than scholarships for Hispanics because it focuses on broadening the overall student life experience. In fact, deserving candidates who have a score point above 3.0 or equivalent, they get to get by with the traditionally user represented group activities, state of the art facilities, transportation, travel and tourism.
- While at ABA, you will be judged against scholarships for Hispanics on the basis of a tough selection criterion. For instance, as a participating candidate of this scholarship, your academic record, past performance, school/ college reputation, degree of financial need and an ability to contribute to either one of the transport, tourism or travel industry.
- ABA will check you out for leadership skills, diversity, personality, age, race, minority level, and everything so that you’re indeed deemed as a deserving case. Applicants are notified by ABA both in case of selection or rejection.
- Alvarado Garcia Scholarship:
- The AGS falls underneath the flat category of scholarships for Hispanics because of its various advantages and perks. More so, the Association of Latino Men for Action has been working in collaboration with Alvarado Garcia Scholarship.
- The AGS is more focused on giving opportunities to discriminated members of the society. Gays, Lesbians, Bisexual, Trannies and any such kind of person can apply alongside those who’re sexually straight and sane.
- As a candidate you’ll have to go through an excoriating selection process, where each one of your merits and demerits will count. In the end, upon approval, a handsome financial assistance/ discount is offered, which goes from a minimum of $1,000, to a maximum of any amount adequately suitable to your academic monetary needs.
- APSA Minority Fellows Program:
- If it comes to scholarships for Hispanics, the APSA Minority Fellows Program cannot be overlooked. The foundation of these scholarships dates back to 1969, where an effort to increase the number of immigrant students was made by significant members of the APSA community.
- Imagine the extent of APSA’s financial support because it has been known to help more than 300 students in their quest for seeking out scholarships for Hispanics. Some of the individuals even got to complete their doctoral level education through APSA grants.
- Upon approval/ selection, you will be receiving a maximum of $4,000 monetary aid/ discount on your annual tuition fee. APSA takes pride in valuing their student life privacy. If any particular student doesn’t want to disclose information about his/her budget constraints, family life or any other thing, no one will say a word about it.
- APSA also offers rewards to students who score high on their GRE, GMAT, SAT and end term papers.
- APSA Minority Fellows Application and Eligibility Criterion:
- As mentioned above, there is a certain number of requirements that you have to fulfill, to be eligible for APSA’s type of scholarships for Hispanics. Take a look below:
- You have to be a member of one of the following ethnic groups:
- African American
- Pacific American
- Native American (The tribes have to be recognized at State or Federal level)
- At the time of APSA Minority Fellow scholarship award, you have to be a US Citizen.
- Your financial needs must be demonstrated at all costs.
- A keen interest in leadership, teaching, research in political science and such fields can count as an added bonus on your portfolio
- Berrien Fragos Thorn Arts Scholarship:
- Even though its quite a long and seemingly weird name, the Berrien Fragos Thorn Arts Scholarship is yet another sub category of scholarships for Hispanics. The BFTA takes pride in taking care of immigrant who need to work and study, or do one of both at the same time.
- As compared to the above scholarships, BFTA is much easier to get in. This scholarship is more focused on grooming the talents of interested candidates.
- * Eligibility:
- You should have a talent in one of the following disciplines:
- Art – Visual painting, sculpture making, photography and etc.
- Performing Art – Theater, dance, music performances, etc.
- Media – Animation, CG art, video making, graphics etc.
- Literary – Writing skills, novels, poetry, stories, narration etc.
- Crafts and Handy Work – traditional art, wood work, metal work, glass painting, weaving, furniture making, pottery etc.
For APSA, in addition to above requirements, you have to have a minimum of 16 year age and you should not be enrolled in school. They don’t want you to write essays, but you’re going to have to come up with a couple of letters of recommendations from past institutes you’ve been to.
- Catherine Lealtad Scholarships For Hispanics and Minorities:
- These scholarships are awarded to members of different minorities, such as Africans, Latinos, Native Americans and etc. In other words, you just have to be a part of a minority within the US of A, in order to apply for this scholarship.
- From a minimum of $3,000, to a maximum of $5,000, the reward goes to deserving students. However, just like other popular scholarship issuers, the Catherine Lealtad guys have their own requirements.
For more information about these grants or above scholarships for Hispanics, feel free to contact the concerned authorities directly through a phone number, email, an on premises visit, or a visit to their websites.
It is a known fact that in today’s day and age the cost of education has become quite heavy for a lot of people. Let’s be honest, not everyone gets supported by his or her parents. And even if someone is supported financially by his/ her parents, they can’t manage to pay all your college, school and tuition fee.
Also, you cant sign up for loans because student debts haunt people to their graves. In this context, scholarships seem to be the right choice for the masses. No matter what kind of minority you belong to, you have to right to sign up for these grants. You have the right to deserve these scholarships. Your only option is to start today with preparations, application form filling process and all that stuff.
The sooner you’re going to do it, the sooner you’re going to hear the good news. We wish you best of luck with whatever you’re up against in life.